HARD TOP VS SOFT TOP – THE BEST COMPARISON!
It is always difficult to come to a decision on whether to get a hard top or a soft top for your vehicle. The best way to decide is to know all the facts and make an informed decision. Both Hard Top and Soft Top have major similarities like they are both 100% Waterproof and will protect you from the elements. They both do the job well however they have some crucial differences.
Following are key differences between a Hard Top and a Soft Top.
- FRP (Fiber Reinforced Plastic)
- Canvas (ranging from high poly cotton blend to 100% cotton)
- Nylon Cloth, etc.
- Time Consuming Setup
- Fabrication and Installation in Workshop
- May require Cutting and Welding on vehicle
- Installation Time Required: 7 -15 days
- Easy and Quick
- Can be set up without any professional help
- Does not require any cutting or welding
- Installation time required: less than 30 minutes
- Changed Look
- SUV Style Look
- Original Look
- Jeep Style Look
- Permanent Modification to your Vehicle
- Opportunity of Versatility is extremely limited
- Switching back from a Hard Top is very difficult
- Multiple Looks can be achieved for your Vehicle
- Raining, go with a full soft top
- Bright and Sunny, go with a Bikini or a Cabin hood
- Change your Soft Top based on your Mood and Activity Plans
- Better performance
- Minimal Outside Sound
- Due to Metal body and Insulation
- Weaker Performance compared to a Hard Top
- Due to Soft Top being made with Cloth
- Higher Level of Security
- Almost similar to any other vehicle
- Basic Level of Security
- Slightly lower as the Soft Top is made with Cloth
- Adds Significant Weight to the Vehicle
- Does not add much Weight to the Vehicle
- If removed off the body, Large Storage Space is Required
- The Storage Space Needs to be Dry and Well-Maintained
- May require a Garage/Store Room
- Can be easily Folded Down
- Small Storage Space needed
- Can easily fit in a wardrobe or closet
- A Big Investment
- Starting from INR 70 k and go upwards of INR 1.5 lacs
- Not a Major Investment
- Starting from as Low as INR 8k for the Bikini Soft Top and INR 17.5k for a Full Soft Top.
There is no single best option. The right top depends on your individual needs and requirements. Weighing the pros and cons of each, it is best to decide what is the right fit for your vehicle. This is not an all encompassing list and we would like to know what other factors do you look at when deciding a Hard top vs. a Soft top.